JOB OPENING | Part-time | BZA/PC Secretary
February 1, 2019
The Sellersburg Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) and Plan Commission (PC) are seeking a part-time Secretary. The position reports to and takes direction from the Chairpersons of the BZA and PC, but will work with all members of the BZA and PC, as well as the BZA/PC Attorney and the Building Commissioner/Planning Director. Job description for this position is online at http://sellersburg.org.
All interested persons should send their resumes to:
Attn: Mr. Vincent Thacker, BZA
This job opening expires March 15, 2019.
TOWN OF SELLERSBURG
POSITION TITLE: Board Secretary
Final: January 2019
DEPARTMENT: Planning and Zoning
SUPERVISOR: Board of Zoning
Appeals and Plan Commission
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Appointed position of the Sellersburg Board of Zoning Appeals and Plan Commission and is by nature a clerical position. Responsibilities include attending monthly meetings including any special meetings that may be called, take meeting minutes, preparation of a draft document of meeting minutes for distribution to members of the BZA and PC, and the Building Commissioner/Planning Director. Position requires attention to detail, excellent organization and communication skills, both written and verbal. In accordance with the Town of Sellersburg Salary Ordinance, the position pays up to $100 per meeting of the BZA and PC. The pay for the Board Secretary is processed and paid in December as all other appointed Town positions are.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Performs clerical tasks including but not limited to:
- Attends all monthly meetings, including special meetings of the BZA and PC.
- Accurately records the proceedings and motions for meeting minutes.
- Prepares meeting minutes utilizing the format prescribed by the BZA and PC using Microsoft Word.
- Distributes draft meeting minutes to respective Chairperson’s and Building Commission/Planning Director via electronic mail. the easiest method
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Work independently
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of technology (e.g. computers, websites, Microsoft Office)
- Communicate clearly and concisely in both written and oral form
- Perform clerical and administrative tasks quickly and accurately
- Excellent copy editing and proofreading skills
- Type from rough draft and keyboard at an efficient rate of speed
- Meet strict timelines
- Work harmoniously with individuals and groups of employees, not only those in the department
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Accomplish work responsibilities with minimum supervision
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Minimum years of experience: Two (2) years clerical including, but not limited to: word processing, filing, calendar coordination, public relations, and project coordination tasks. Previous experience working for a government agency/board and experience working with the public highly desirable.
This position is an office position with no exposure to inclement weather. Significant contact with the public. Exposure to computer screens. Duties may include sitting and standing. Need manual dexterity and visual acuity.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The employer is an "equal opportunity employer." The employer will not discriminate and will take measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, and advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color, national origin, or sex.
NOTICE OF EMPLOYMENT
Town of Sellersburg reserves the right to change or revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. The job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.